We're sorry, applications for this role are now closed
08 February 2019
Background and context
Social Tech Trust is at an exciting stage. With a clear purpose to transform lives with tech, the dedication of our expert team, a supportive Board, and a strong portfolio of social tech start-ups, we’re ready to scale our impact.
In pursuit of our vision of a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech, we’ve already invested more than £30 million in over 750 socially motivated initiatives. Following a strategic review, we are developing our investment function to provide ventures with the longer-term support they need to scale and expanding our grant programmes to inspire tech innovation.
We’re drawing on a decade of experience as a leading tech focused charity and challenging tech to do more for us – placing social need first, so tech has a transformative impact on the lives of people across the UK.
We’re looking for a purposeful, talented and highly motivated individual who shares our vision. The successful candidate will be a confident and proactive team player, with an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
The Development Manager will report to the CEO and will be responsible for developing programmes and partnerships that further the Trust’s vision. They will work alongside the wider team, including the investment function, to support the development and growth of social tech ventures in collaboration with partners in the public, private and social sectors.
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody with a passion for the transformative potential of tech to use their skills and experience to make the world a better place.
Location: London or Oxford
Reporting line: CEO
Working alongside our current part-time Development Manager, the post holder will work collaboratively with cross sector partners to design and develop programmes and partnerships that demonstrate the transformative power of social tech. Develop and implement the Trust’s impact framework to measure and report on the outcomes of the Trust’s investments, grants and wider programmes.
- Lead on developing new partnerships and programmes with cross sector partners in furtherance of our vision and impact framework.
- Lead on the Trust’s impact approach – including evolving our social impact themes; measuring and evidencing impact; and translating data into insights to strengthen our investments, grants and programmes.
- Support the team to integrate new insights and innovative approaches into the Trust’s programmes, processes, partnerships and portfolio development.
- Work closely with the Trust’s investment function to analyse the insights from our portfolio and impact framework, to develop offers for our ventures, investors and market/policy influencers.
- Work with the Trust’s investment function to embed our impact approach into our investment and grant activities and communicate this approach to stakeholders.
- Work with the team to draw on insights from our investments, grants and programmes to make recommendations for more effective support systems for social tech.
- Work with the Communications Manager to share insights and evidence of impact from our portfolio with key audiences.
- Actively build the Trust’s community, including initiating and organising events and strategic networking opportunities in support of the Trust’s vision.
- Lead on the Trust’s strategic and market research (including developing briefs, commissioning, and sharing findings).
- Raise Social Tech Trust’s profile by furthering advocacy for our vision and excitement around our approaches and portfolio by, for example, taking an active role in relevant public and sector discussions (roundtables, consultations, panels, conferences, workshops, etc.) and contributing to blogs and social media. ● Any other duties as required by the Trust.
The ideal candidate will be motivated by the potential for social transformation to drive tech. They will have a strong understanding of frameworks for social transformation, including systems thinking, and be motivated by the opportunity to develop innovative programmes and partnerships to transform lives with tech. They will share the Trust’s core values of being purposeful, entrepreneurial and open and have a talent for relationship building, with the ambition for movement building.
- A shared belief in Social Tech Trust’s vision of a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech
- A strong understanding of tech and its role in, and impact on, society
- Proven experience of strategic engagement with senior stakeholders to initiate and develop business opportunities, partnerships and programmes in support of organisational objectives
- Demonstrable experience of using a range of approaches to design and develop programmes and partnerships
- Strong understanding of approaches to social transformation
- Demonstrable experience of impact measurement
- Excellent programme management skills
- Understanding of social and policy challenges and opportunities in the UK and beyond
- Excellent written, verbal and presentational communication skills; able to articulate complex ideas and put across recommendations with confidence to a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a small team
- Action-oriented work ethic
- High attention to detail with a drive for excellence
- Relevant degree or equivalent professional experience
- Understanding of impact investing
- Experience of supporting ventures
- Background in tech, entrepreneurship or the social sector
How to apply
To apply for the role of Development Manager, please forward your CV, together with a covering letter (maximum two sides of A4). Please ensure that your application fully addresses how you meet the requirements of the role as defined in the person specification.
Please provide the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of two referees relevant to this role. References will only be taken with your permission, once your application has progressed to offer stage.
Applications should be submitted to Kathy Marcham at firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Friday 22nd February. Interviews will take place week commencing 4th March.
If you have queries about any aspect of the appointment process or would like additional information, please contact Kathy Marcham at email@example.com