Join our team: We're recruiting for a Finance Officer
01 November 2018
Based in Abingdon
Permanent part-time, 15 hours a week
Salary £35,000-£40,000 PA (full time equivalent), plus benefits
About Social Tech Trust
Now is an exciting time to join the Trust. After ten years as the corporate foundation of Nominet, we have recently become an independent charity and rebranded from Nominet Trust to Social Tech Trust. The change reflects our dedicated focus on tech and realising its potential to address complex social challenges.
Our purpose is to transform lives with tech and we’re dedicated to pursuing our vision of a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech. We have a ten-year track record of supporting early stage ventures across a range of sectors. This experience has helped us to understand where there is the greatest potential for tech to address social challenges and what kind of investment and support ventures need to deliver transformative change at scale.
We currently support social tech through a combination of investments and grants, and through our work to develop the ecosystem. Since 2008 we have supported over 750 socially motivated initiatives in the UK, providing more than £31m of funding to drive change with tech.
About this role:
As the Finance Officer, you will play a key role in managing the financial operations of Social Tech Trust to ensure we can support the strongest socially motivated tech ventures to scale and positively impact the lives of millions of people. This is an important new role which you will have the opportunity to shape and grow as part of a small, friendly, purpose driven team.
The Finance Officer will report to the Operations Manager and will work with all members of the team as well as liaising with Trustees and external suppliers.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the Trust’s financial processes, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance
- Produce monthly management accounts and assist with budgets and forecasts
- Perform monthly budget reviews with cost centre managers to monitor actual and forecast spend
- Assist with the Social Tech Trust Annual audit
- Process Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable ensuring payments are processed to an agreed schedule
- Administer grant payments
- Manage electronic expenses system and credit card purchases
- Manage external payroll, pensions and Childcare Vouchers scheme
- Manage bank accounts and deposits ensuring authorised signatory lists are maintained and e-signing capabilities are functional
- Assist with HR administration
- Ad-hoc reporting and data analysis
- Qualified accountant – ACCA, CIMA, ACA
- Knowledge of charity accounts preferred
- Experience in using Xero preferred
- Interested in digital technology as a medium for positive social change and a commitment to the vision and objectives of Social Tech Trust
- Knowledge of financial planning, management and reporting
- Logical approach to complex problem solving
- A team player who will play a full part in leading the day-to-day financial operations of a small, multi-disciplinary and sometimes distributed team
- Good inter-personal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to be able to explain information clearly and succinctly to a range of people both formally and informally
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to juggle a range of tasks at the same time
- Flexible and adaptable with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to operate independently and effectively under pressure
- Ability to establish personal credibility and inspire confidence both internally and externally
- Computer literate – a wizard on Excel, competent with Microsoft Office, confident using a variety of online services, and willing and able to learn new programmes and techniques quickly
How to Apply
To apply for the role of Finance Officer, please forward your CV together with a supporting statement (maximum 2 sides of A4) that outlines your motivation for applying to join Social Tech Trust and addresses the requirements set out in the person specification.
You should also give the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of two referees, relevant to this role. References will only be taken once your express permission has been granted.
Finally, please ensure that you have included a contact telephone number.
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Friday 23rd November 2018.
If you have any queries about the appointment process or need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.