Join our team
28 August 2018
About the role:
Social Tech Trust invests in early stage ventures whose social purpose drives their use of tech to transform people’s lives. In the last ten years we have made more than £30m worth of grants and investments to over 750 inspiring tech ventures. Following a review of our strategy, we are now increasing our focus on investment as a means to achieve our vision and are seeking to recruit an Investment Analyst with experience of working in venture capital, investment banking or a related field. The Investment Analyst will pay a key role in helping to build our investment function so that we can support the strongest purpose-driven tech ventures to scale and positively impact the lives of millions of people.
The Investment Analyst will report to the Investment Director. They will work closely alongside the Investment Director and our Social Investment Managers to build our investment function and deliver market insights, investment analysis and advice.
- Financial modelling, including developing and implementing venture valuation and forecasting models.
- Gathering and analysing venture and fund level financial performance data.
- Developing investment transaction recording and forecasting processes, enabling routine reporting to the Investment Committee of the financial performance of individual investments and the portfolio.
- Strategic analyses of markets and companies.
- Preparing marketing and presentation documentation.
- Interfacing with fund administrators and investors, including responding to requests for data and insights.
- Working with the Operations Manager to inform the development of the investment administration and reporting systems.
- Working with the Social Investment Managers to conduct due diligence and execution of new investments including social impact assessments.
- Supporting the development of the Trust’s impact measurement framework.
- Experience of working in venture capital, investment banking or a related field.
- Relevant degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g. qualified accountant) preferred.
- Interested in digital technology as a medium for positive social change and a commitment to the vision and objectives of Social Tech Trust.
- Able to develop and implement financial management and operational systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to articulate complex ideas and put across recommendations with confidence to a variety of audiences.
- Self-motivated team player who’s committed to working in a small team dedicated to continual improvement.
- Action-oriented work ethic.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical ability.
- High attention to detail with a drive for excellence.
- Computer literate – a wizard on Excel, competent with Microsoft Office, confident using online services such as Google docs, and willing and able to learn new programmes and techniques quickly.
How to Apply
To apply for the role of Investment Analyst, please submit the following to Amy Ryan at email@example.com
- A comprehensive CV.
- A supporting statement (maximum 2 sides of A4) that addresses the appointment criteria set out in the person specification and outlines your motivation for applying to join Social Tech Trust.
- Details of two referees who we would be able to contact at offer stage.
The closing date for applications is 9pm, Friday 28th September 2018. Interviews will take place in Oxford week commencing 15th October 2018.
If you have any queries about any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information, or wish to arrange to have an informal and confidential discussion, please contact Amy Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Social Tech Trust
Now is an exciting time to join the Trust. After ten years as the corporate foundation of Nominet, we have recently become an independent charity and rebranded from Nominet Trust to Social Tech Trust. The change reflects our dedicated focus on tech and realising its potential to address complex social challenges.
Our purpose is to transform lives with tech and we’re dedicated to pursuing our vision of a world where social transformation is the driving force behind tech. We have a ten-year track record of supporting early stage ventures across a range of sectors. This experience has helped us to understand where there is the greatest potential for tech to address social challenges and what kind of investment and support ventures need to deliver transformative change at scale.
What we do:
We currently support social tech through a combination of investments, grants and through our work to develop the ecosystem. This includes the following:
- Fair by Design – a new fund we have invested in alongside Joseph Rowntree Foundation and Big Society Capital which aims to end the poverty premium within the next 10 years.
- iAMDigital fund – a fund developed in partnership with Creative England to tackle the UK’s digital skills gap.
- Bethnal Green Ventures (BGV) – we’re a founding partner in BGV, Europe’s first impact investment start-up accelerator.
- Tech to Unite Us – we recently launched our latest grant funding round, investing £500k in ventures using tech to further equality.
- Our Lives + Tech – our recent podcast series highlights the transformative potential of tech.
You can explore our portfolio of ventures here, including:
- Xploro – a mobile app that uses augmented reality, gameplay and artificial intelligence to deliver empowering health information to patients.
- Give Vision – life-changing tech that enhances sight for the visually impaired.
- Open Bionics – the world’s first clinically tested, medically certified, and FDA registered 3D-printed bionic arm.
- TapSOS – a non-verbal way to communicate with the emergency services.